Tallinn, Estonia – The Green Destinations 2023 Conference, hosted by Visit Estonia and Visit Tallinn, was kicked off on Monday, 09 October 2023, with 250+ delegates from over 40 countries discussing Sustainable Tourism Solutions in six panel events and two workshops.
The inaugural session featured dignitaries, including Albert Salman (President, Green Destinations), Mihhail Kõlvart (Mayor, Tallinn), Juhana Vartiainen (Mayor, Helsinki), Ville Haapasaari (CEO, Ports of Helsinki), and Valdo Kalm (CEO, Port of Tallinn). The session outlined the collaboration between the ports of Tallinn and Helsinki and ferry companies, aiming to establish a green corridor to accelerate zero emissions and promote sustainable customer journeys on the Helsinki-Tallinn and Muuga-Vuosaari sea routes.
The evening program of Day 1 took place at the iconic Seaplane Harbor in Tallinn. It marked the GD Sustainable Destinations Certification Ceremony, where 13 destinations received their Green Destinations Awards and Certification as listed below:
- Lahemaa (Estonia) – Green Destinations Award Platinum
- Tartu (Estonia) – Green Destinations Award Platinum
- Hiiumaa (Estonia) – Green Destinations Award Gold
- Saaremaa (Estonia) – Green Destinations Award Gold
- Järvamaa (Estonia) – Green Destinations Award Silver
- Pärnu (Estonia) – Green Destinations Award Silver
- Rakvere (Estonia) – Green Destinations Award Silver
- Torres Vedras (Portugal) – QualityCoast Award Gold
- Serras do Socorro e Archeira (Portugal) – Green Destinations Award Platinum
- Plitvice Lakes National Park (Croatia) – Green Destinations Award Silver
- Niseko Town (Japan) – Green Destinations Award Silver
- Granville Terre et Mer (France) – Green Destinations Award Gold
- Seiser Alm (Italy) – Sustainable South Tyrol Certified Level 3
The celebration was followed by the 2023 Top 100 Unveiling Ceremony, where destinations showcasing exemplary destination management practices toward a responsible future for tourism were acknowledged for their efforts. Learn more about the unveiling ceremony for the 2023 Top 100 Story competition here.
The Green Destinations 2023 Conference continues until 10 October 2023, featuring Day 2, ‘Tourism Good Practices’. The day is dedicated to sharing best practice examples of sustainable tourism globally, covering diverse topics from destination management solutions to culture and marketing. It presents a valuable opportunity to learn from each other’s experiences, discuss global contexts, and identify synergies with potential new partners in the journey towards sustainability.
Green Destinations 2023 Conference Estonia: http://www.greendestinations.org/gd2023
Green Destinations Top 100 Stories: www.greendestinations.org/top100